My man loves meat and potatoes. I’m working on the cooking meat thing. But potatoes? I can rock a potato!
Vore’s eyes light up every time I bring the twice baked variety out for dinner. These take a little planning ahead–baking potatoes takes ages!–but they are super simple and fun to prepare.
You can always prep the potatoes and stuff the shells ahead of time, then store in the fridge until you are ready to throw them in the oven. Just double the cooking time.
Twice Baked Potatoes
4 medium gold potatoes, scrubbed (approx 1.5 pounds)
2 tablespoons butter
2.5 tablespoons onion and chive cream cheese
3 tablespoons sour cream
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
pepper to taste
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
paprika for sprinkling
1. Lightly pierce your potatoes all over, using a fork.
2. Pour a little olive oil in your palm. Massage that tater.
3. Sprinkle with Kosher salt.
4. Wrap in foil and bake at 400 degrees for 50-55 minutes. If the potatoes give a little when squeezed, they’re ready.
5. Remove potatoes from the oven. Cut in half and allow them to cool a bit.
6. Palm your potato. Use a spoon to form a ring, leaving a border of about 1/4 inch potato flesh.
7. Dig in with your spoon and carefully scoop the potato innards into a microwave safe bowl. Make sure you leave a little potato at the bottom for support.
8. Add the butter, cream cheese, sour cream, garlic salt and pepper to the potato in the bowl. Mash it all together. If your potato has cooled too much to melt the ingredients, microwave for a few seconds and try again.
9. Spoon the potato mixture back into the shells, pressing it in with the back of a spoon. I find this works best if you cup the shell in your palm for support. Top each potato with one tablespoon cheese and sprinkle with paprika.
10. Bake at 400 until the cheese is melted and the potato heated through, about 10 minutes.
I think the chive and onion cream cheese is the secret weapon. Don’t skip it! Do you have a twice baked potato recipe?